POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:31:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Feb 2004 17:28:12
Message: <MPG.1a8c6fb548f52222989999@news.povray.org>
In article <40219b12$1@news.povray.org>, dan### [at] yahoocom says...
> is beyond me. And even though I have the PNG now, and have set the window
> transparent, and have overridden OnErase, I still wind up getting opaque
> white where the alpha=0 area is. The rest of the shadowing and stuff works
> (I'm looking to make an AboutBox like Photoshop does), yet when it is
> alpha=0, it screws up. I'm still trying to get that to work and haven't
> found anything on the web about it.

Well. The only C++ I ever did was a few weeks in some class called
'current concepts' at college. I need to get into it and figure out how
to code in it, but never really liked the issues involved with trying to
figure it out. Since recently trying to code something in VB that
required accessing the Windows API to do some stuff VB doesn't allow,
this has gone from dislike to borderline fear. lol

However, I would be quite happy to try, even if the first basic project
was nothing but a replacement for the damn Hotbar gadget I use with IE.
Hotbar only makes what on my machine is an unstable IE into a disaster
and the new version for some damn reason integrates into Outlook and
screws with it too. The problem...? I can't for the life of me find
usable documentation of how to create the sub-resource for the coolbar
(or rebar as some call it) interface as IE uses it. It isn't the same as
a normal coolbar, but is a dll encapsulated subbar or whatever they call
it that gets placed on a rebar. It needs to implement special intefaces
for IE besides and then has to be registered in some goofy way to work. I
am surprised Hotbar and a few others figured out how the hell to do it.
lol

Most people btw take the cheap way out and just alter a single registry
key, so it points to a bmp file. But IE literally doesn't know how to
stretch to fit this image and what idiot uses jpg (which sometimes refuse
to display properly under 98 as background or desktop images) or bmp,
which in the case of something like the desktop, can take up more room
than some complete program installations. :(

Bloody pain in the ass finding decent, let alone usable documentation for
how anything on windows works. :p Could you imagine the screams of pain
if MS convinced motherboard manufacturers to install the API as part of
the system bios, the way Apple does? People would be jumping out of
windows like when the stock market crashed. lol

I have to agree with you. Most stuff written for windows runs like crap
and only well under XP, because no one actually has a clue how to make
any of it work right in the first place. They just use the same defective
code over and over. After all, is did work once, 'sort of', so it should
be fine to leave it in the next version too, 'more or less'. lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else